Sewing Seperates and my Fall Reading List...

6:06 PM 4 Comments A+ a-

I actually made something! It's a red hot miracle... Ever since Zo announced Self Stitched September '11, I've been contemplating what I'll need to do to get ready. I participated in March but opted out in June because I figured I hadn't made enough new pieces. Now, however, I think I've made enough stuff that September should look pretty different than March. I've also been on a separates kick, due to the fact that I had pretty much only had dresses to wear for the March challenge. I found this pattern at an estate sale a while back and I adore it! I think it has great 30's feel despite being made in the 80's. I'm dying to make a pair of high waisted, black linen trousers to wear with it.


The material is a really loose weave cotton, almost like gauze. It's a vintage piece that I picked up at the same estate sale where I got the pattern. It was sort of difficult to work with but I loved the pattern and colors too much to give up. I have no tripod and no helper so this is my attempt at a self portrait in the shirt...

Close up of the sleeves...


Also, here's a picture of the third assembly line skirt in action. Not necessary but I really liked the shoes with it...

Finally, exciting things this week! Elaine at Selfish Seamstress is back! Her's is the first blog I really read when I started sewing, plus her Burda previews are hilarious! Glad to have her back. Also, Sarai at Collette announced her new book. I'll admit, I saw it on Amazon a few weeks ago and I'm definitely pre-ordering it! As well as these other books (and Gertie's when it comes out!)...





Source: amazon.com via Forrest on Pinterest








Source: amazon.com via Forrest on Pinterest








Source: amazon.com via Forrest on Pinterest




Happy weekend!

4 comments

Write comments
Gail
AUTHOR
August 14, 2011 at 12:22 AM delete

Your new blouse looks very contemporary. I admit the pattern didn't look nearly so inspiring.

Reply
avatar
Meg the Grand
AUTHOR
August 15, 2011 at 11:45 PM delete

Love the blouse! The colors are fantastic - I wouldn't be able to give it up either! And the skirt + shoes = fashion must. I adore your shoe collection. Pass some along to me, will you?

Reply
avatar
Forrest
AUTHOR
August 16, 2011 at 8:46 PM delete

Thanks loves! Meg, when I'm in Chicago next we'll go shoe shopping!

Reply
avatar
Heather
AUTHOR
September 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM delete

What a great pattern! I probably would've totally passed it by if I saw it. The fabric choice is lovely too. Looks like it's nice and cool for summer (if you still have summer). :)

Reply
avatar